Life is Great

The Delicious Appreciations of Pick Yin

Not exactly predictable.
Has enough brains for codes
(but can be completely clueless on other more important matters).
Likes her Joe (and her man?) black, her chocolate dark and her food spicy.
“Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu.” — Seneca

Total Posts   191      Last Updated   23 November 2015 12:00 PM (GMT +8)

Saturday, August 21, 2010


Yellow is My Color


It's a few minutes to iftar and the lift upgrading noise outside our apartment is showing no signs of coming to a halt. Last night's farewell dinner arranged for me was bliss, Gajalee is definitely a place we will visit again. Bombay duck? Yum.



Today has been about a recipe testing and trying use up four egg yolks left in the fridge. Egg tarts and I have always been good friends. That sunshine yellow wobbly custard just brightens up my day.




There are several versions of these tarts varying around the type of dough used for the tart shell. I like the flaky, buttery dough kind, not to be confused with the puff pastry type. This one has a simple yet soft and crumbly shell which does not harden much even when the tarts are left out for a long time.



Since I am testing out the recipe for someone, it can't be disclosed here. I may come back and update this post in future once the recipe owner provides her permission. All I can say is, for those who have never blind-baked shells before, don't do it with rice (it was tough, just don't). Use larger sized pulses or blind-baking pebbles.



Selamat berbuka puasa to all my Muslim readers and have a great weekend!




4 Comments on Yellow is My Color

Certainly looks delicious!!!! I hope you do post the recipe very soon!
Happy baking and all my best!
LeeYong

Posted by Anonymous LeeYong, at Feb 3, 2012, 10:17:00 AM  

I love egg tarts!

I would like to invite you to participate in my $40 gift certificate giveaway http://atasteofkoko.blogspot.com/2010/08/mini-pistachio-tea-cakes-40.html

Posted by Anonymous Jane Ko, at Feb 3, 2012, 10:18:00 AM  

Looks beautiful. And I love your photography! And the shell looks exactly that flaky and buttery.

Happy Eid in advance :D
I wonder what you make on Eid like we Indian make sheer korma

Posted by Anonymous Kulsum @journeykitchen, at Feb 3, 2012, 10:18:00 AM  

Thanks Kulsum, happy Eid to you to. Menu for Eid will be ghee rice and spicy dry chicken curry. :)

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 3, 2012, 10:18:00 AM  


Post a Comment