Life is Great

The Delicious Appreciations of Pick Yin

Not exactly predictable.
Has enough brains for codes
(but can be completely clueless on other more important matters).
Likes her Joe (and her man?) black, her chocolate dark and her food spicy.
“Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu.” — Seneca

Total Posts   191      Last Updated   23 November 2015 12:00 PM (GMT +8)

Friday, August 12, 2011


Hong Kong Part III





It occurred to me just now that I'd better write up about the rest of my Hong Kong trips before I actually forget where these photos were shot due to the ailing state of my memory. At this hour of a rainy night in Shanghai, it's easy to miss Hong Kong. Perhaps it's because I haven't found the hidden jewels of Shanghai yet - the pass two business trips had been short and quite unadventurous, I didn't even bring my camera.



Hong Kong, though, was quite a place. As you can see from that sunken soufflé, we had our moments. Before Vijay made his way there to join me, I visited Wooloomooloo Prime at Tsim Hsa Tsui's The ONE alone, starting with dessert for tea and then a full dinner in the evening. Let's not talk about the soufflé, for this is the holy month of Ramadan and when there's nothing good to be said about something, it's best not to say anything. Like Rita though, I was impressed with the warm (and huge) pumpkin bread. The bacon wrapped starter that followed was typical but pleasant. Apologies for not presenting you the photo of my juicy, cooked to perfection steak, served with four sauces. It was really too dark by the time I was served my entrée to get a respectable shot without a tripod.





Hong Kong is also a famous hot pot country so we frequented a small restaurant near our hotel in Tung Chung many evenings after work to get our spicy soup fixes. The chili and Szechuan peppercorn laden soups in Hong Kong were nothing close compared to those you'd find in Shanghai or other parts of mainland China though they provided some degree of comfort to one of my Shanghainese colleague who was missing home badly after being away for months.







When Vijay arrived for the first time, we went to do some of the touristy stuff despite my plans to blend in and 'go where the locals would'. The junk ride wouldn't be a surprise agenda of course - we had to do it just once. Victoria Harbor was beautiful at night, despite the foggy weather when we went aboard the AquaLuna.






One night for dinner we decided to just try our luck and hop into one of those unassuming, coffee shop-looking, eat-and-go, mom-and-pop establishments as we roamed the vibrant after-dark streets of Causeway Bay. No pre-visit researches, referrals or reviews were allowed, it would all have to depend on our eye for good food and hopefully sound judgements. So we ended at this place, gorging ourselves with their chicken and goose rice, served with my long lost favorite - the duck liver sausage. All the while we were there, we noticed many tables around us having large bowls of thick soup with what looked like some sort of white meat strips in swimming in them. I didn't dare to ask any of the uncles serving us what they were as the whole place was so packed and busy. Only after we paid and left did we realize we just came out of one of the best snake soup joint in Hong Kong.







Without doubt the night life of Hong Kong is one of its main attraction. In this city, I find myself out late right up till when shops closed and eating places pull down their shutters, feeling safe despite traveling alone at most times. Cabs and other modes of public transport like the MTR, buses and mini buses were extremely efficient while the temper of several car drivers driven nuts along the country's most notorious traffic jam areas amused us.





While I was at work on some days Vijay was here, he trotted around the CBD, tripod and several lenses in tow with clear objectives - tram and architecture photography. Here the Bank of China Tower and the Cheung Kong Center made it into his camera views, as well as some brightly plastered trams from one of the oldest system in the world. On the nights when I was too beat to join him going out, shots like these were what he came back with.










Deep in the abyss of my Aperture folders I think there are more unprocessed photos from our final trip before my work moves to China. Those would probably take awhile to surface here as my schedule for the next two months doesn't seem to leave me much room for revisiting old travel shots. For now, I leave you with these desserts from Agnès b. Café L.P.G at Times Square, Causeway Bay, just so we all can have a sweet ending and then some.







18 Comments on Hong Kong Part III

pretty pretty pictures of food and hk sites ...... love your blog <3

Posted by Anonymous Mrs. Chan, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:44:00 AM  

Hi, your pics are awesome and your post a great read. We really feel the vibrant city's heart. Yes HK is a great and a safe place.
I have not read yet part I & II. I am going to do it now! Cheers

Posted by Anonymous Christine, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:44:00 AM  



Mrs. Chan: Thank you. The feeling is mutual. <3

Christine: Thanks! I hope to go again for a real holiday soon.

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:45:00 AM  

Hong Kong always fascinate me... influenced by Astro Wah Lah Toi ...hehehe
Superb photos and I love the 'sweet ending', looks so yummy :D

Posted by Anonymous Lisa H., at Feb 2, 2012, 9:45:00 AM  

love love love the street photos - that flickr set is amazing vijay!

and you just reminded me that i haven't had a chance to take a junk ride around the harbour - definitely gonna do that the next time I head to HK :D

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:46:00 AM  



Lisa: Thanks, it's a great place to be. Go for a holiday!

Guest: There are more photos both of us are still trying to find time to process. The junk ride, although just 45 minutes, was relaxing and scenic. There are also rides going all the way to Stanley and Aberdeen.

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:47:00 AM  

These pictures are absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Hong Kong, but this makes me want to go even more.

Posted by Anonymous Stephanie @ Dessert Before Dinner, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:47:00 AM  

Greetings from Hong Kong! Not a good time to be here now - I suspect the school holidays in China is the reason for the over crowded streets - but I did take my boss to Yong Gei for roasted goose yesterday and that Michelin Star dim sum restaurant, Tian Ho Wan... :)

Posted by Anonymous shirley@kokken69, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:47:00 AM  



Stephanie: Thanks, go already!

Shirley: It is the school holiday season there and here in China. At least you're not stuck in the middle of nowhere. I'm still down with diarrhea here in Pudong and apparently they don't even have a Western medicine pharmacy at the airport.

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:47:00 AM  

omo! I have to go on a Hong Kong food spree soon!!!!

Posted by Anonymous anh@anhsfoodblog.com, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:48:00 AM  

Yes soon Anh! I won't be able to make to the photography workshop next month, guess I'll have to visit Melbourne later in the year if that happens at all.

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:48:00 AM  

I miss Hong Kong, terribly. Hope i can squeeze a short 5 days to HK end of this year!

Posted by Anonymous Sherie @ Maameemoomoo, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:48:00 AM  

Sherie: Yes I hope you can too! As for me, the rest of the year will still see me in China. Maybe a short trip to Melbourne if I can manage it.

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:49:00 AM  

Thank you so much for giving me a little "HK fix". I do miss my beloved city. Kansas City does pale in comparison. And your photography and taste in food is impecable.

Posted by Anonymous Donna, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:49:00 AM  

Thanks Donna. I would imagine that Kansas City would be no comparison with Hong Kong - NYC maybe. ;)

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Feb 2, 2012, 9:50:00 AM  

Absolutely gorgeous photos! My boyfriend and I are currently planning a 2 year backpacking trip through Europe and Asia (during which we'll continue to run my food blog and will start a travel blog acoupletravelers.com) and although our backpacker budget most likely will not allow us to dine in the establishments you did it still has been great to see those beautiful food photos!

Posted by Anonymous Vicky, at Apr 3, 2012, 9:47:00 PM  

Vicky: Actually the only up-market place in this post is the steakhouse, which IMHO is still cheaper than many other posh dining places within the same building. At least the steaks are good!

HK is a melting pot of hawker and mom-n-pop setups, a backpackers haven actually, I don't imagine you'd have any problems staying well-fed.

Posted by Blogger PickYin, at Apr 4, 2012, 2:59:00 PM  

MY GOSH! The photos are just stunning!

Posted by Anonymous Kayiu @ Saucy Spatula, at Jan 16, 2015, 12:28:00 AM  


Post a Comment