Sunday, December 30, 2012
Date: 30 December 2012
Time: 2330 hours
Drink: Kiasu Stout (Jungle Beer)
Atmosphere: Recovery from slam hour
Playlist: The owner's, on endless loop
It seems like only yesterday when I first stepped in here, on a drizzly weekday. Quickly taken in by the best espresso in town and the funny quips of the owners, many visits came after.
Over two heavy wooden communal tables, spiked periodically with strong caffeine, craft beers and homely bakes straight from a non-existent kitchen; new friends were made, meetings held, war became peace.
A kitchen floor plan discussed, pendant lights chosen, emails exchanged, sketches drawn, photos uploaded.
Behind the Spirit, as we almost keel over dangerous dosages of espresso, Vijay and I learned to appreciate the efforts behind a perfect cup, beyond seemingly easy latte arts.
As I watch the owner and crew persevere towards its final hours, regular customers and a dog continue to stay behind, spilling over to the sidewalk outside. Friends and family slamming the place, stripping it off its last drop of milk, clean glasses, anything edible on the menu, down to two cups worth of coffee beans.
What makes a good café? Perhaps one where people refuse to leave and come knocking on the days it's closed. One that will continue its legacy long after shutting its doors.
Life Is Great explores the incredible world of food and cooking. We hope to share with you our most delicious moments and inspirations.
“Just like becoming an expert in wine–you learn by drinking it, the best you can afford–you learn about great food by finding the best there is, whether simply or luxurious. The you savor it, analyze it, and discuss it with your companions, and you compare it with other experiences.”
Julia Child (Mastering the Art of French Cooking)
“Life is short. Live your dream and share your passion.”
- (A Better) Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- Tiramisu Cake (Encore)
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Sarawak Kolo Mee
- Momofuku Milk Bar's Banana Cream Pie
- Fennel Squid-Ink Pasta with Baked Cod and the Best Chocolate Pudding
- Tarte Framboises (Raspberry Tartlets)
- Salted Egg Prawns
- Kai Tan Koh/Ji Dan Gao (Steamed Egg Cake, 鸡蛋糕)
- Char Siu (Cantonese Barbecued Pork)
- Gordon Ramsay's Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Hong Kong Part III
- Hong Kong Part II: Zongzi/Bakchang (粽子/肉粽)
- Caffè HABITŪ (the table) at G.O.D. Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Part I
- Australia 2010 Part 1: Melbourne
- Bourke Street Bakery, Sydney
- Il Fornaio, St Kilda
- Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne