Sunday, September 16, 2007
For the first buka meal of Ramadhan, I ventured with Kylie Kwong’s extremely simple but yummy stir fried ginger honey chicken Szechuan style.
Stir Fried Ginger Honey Chicken with Chillies
- 2 boneless chicken thighs (skin off optional)
- 2 inches young ginger, finely chopped
- 5 small chillies (cili padi)
- 6 dried chillies
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
For the marinate:
- 4 tsp honey
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (optional)
Marinate the chicken with listed ingredients. Cover with cling film and chill overnight.
Heat up oil in wok. Place the chicken piece by piece (skin side down if not skinless) to fry on high heat. Turn over and lower heat to medium. Brown the chicken (with some burned bits because of the honey) till just before done. Remove onto a plate.
In a clean wok, heat up oil and fry the chillies. Return the chicken to the wok and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Serve warm with rice or noodles.
Life Is Great explores the incredible world of food and cooking. We hope to share with you our most delicious moments and inspirations.
“Just like becoming an expert in wine–you learn by drinking it, the best you can afford–you learn about great food by finding the best there is, whether simply or luxurious. The you savor it, analyze it, and discuss it with your companions, and you compare it with other experiences.”
Julia Child (Mastering the Art of French Cooking)
“Life is short. Live your dream and share your passion.”
- Gooey Cinnamon Cake
- Chinese Crispy Roast Pork Belly (Siu Yuk 烧肉)
- ABC Soup (罗宋汤)
- Kong Bak Pau (扣肉包)
- Pandan Chiffon Cake (Improved)
- Crispy Fried Egg
- Tamago Kake Gohan (卵かけご飯)
- Strawberry Pie
- One Pot Chicken Rice
- Bak Chor Mee (肉脞面 - Minced Pork Noodle)
- Hakka Salted Egg Steamed Pork (咸蛋蒸猪肉)
- Hong Kong Part III
- Hong Kong Part II: Zongzi/Bakchang (粽子/肉粽)
- Caffè HABITŪ (the table) at G.O.D. Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Part I
- Australia 2010 Part 1: Melbourne
- Bourke Street Bakery, Sydney
- Il Fornaio, St Kilda
- Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne